The Martinichurch, former Sint-Maartenschurch, is de eldest church of the city Groningen. The church and the adjacent Martinitower are named after Saint Maarten. The holy Maarten van Tours(316-397) was the patron of the bisdom of Utrecht which the city of Groningen belonged to in that time. The current Martinichurch is a hallchurch dated from the 15th century. The Martinichurch acted shortly as a cathedral during the first bisdom of Groningen(1559-1594).